Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No Touting!

I snapped this picture in a food centre. I was thinking, why aren't we allowed to "tout" in a food centre? Perhaps the word "tout" isn't really lexically primed for me. Haha. And so, I decided to look the word up.
According to Dictionary.com, "touting" means to "solicit business, employment, votes, or the like, importunately". It can also be used in horse racing, "to act as a tout". I guess "tout" refers to the first meaning, in this sense. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary also gave me something similar, "to try to persuade people to buy your goods or services, especially by going to them and asking them directly". Perhaps a food centre is meant for the customers to have their meals in peace, and so others are not allowed to solicit business in a food centre.
Guess what? I found another "No Touting" sign in a food centre too, using Google Images! But I have no idea where this is found. Haha. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment